DredgingToday
  • Capital Dredging
  • Maintenance Dredging
  • Land Reclamation
  • Port Expansion
  • Coastal Protection
  • More News
JobsNewsletter
DredgingToday logo

Your trusted source for global dredging news, part of the Navingo network.

Topics
  • Authorities & Government
  • Beach Nourishment
  • Berth Expansion
  • Breakwater Construction
  • Breakwater Construction & Repair
Network
  • Dredging Today
  • NavalToday
  • Offshore Wind
  • Offshore Energy
  • Maritieme Vacaturebank
Company
  • Advertising
  • Newsletter
  • Jobs
  • Report Your News
  • Privacy Policy

© 2026 Navingo. All rights reserved.

Home›Business & Finance›Significant Progress on Tendring Protection Scheme
Business & Finance

October 28, 2014 · about 11 years ago

Significant Progress on Tendring Protection Scheme

Significant progress has been made over the first few months of a £36 million scheme to improve coastal defenses between Holland-on-Sea and Clacton. Two new fish tail groynes have already been built – two others are more than 80 per cent towards completion and will be finished during the next week.

2 minutes read
  • LinkedIn
  • X
  • Email

Significant progress has been made over the first few months of a £36 million scheme to improve coastal defenses between Holland-on-Sea and Clacton.

Two new fish tail groynes have already been built – two others are more than 80 per cent towards completion and will be finished during the next week.

So far around 70,000 tons of granite has been delivered to the site from Norway to carry out the construction.

Work will be carrying on throughout half term and it is an ideal time for anyone to visit the area and call in at the visitor center at Holland Haven next to Clacton Sailing Club.

Nick Turner, Tendring District Council’s Cabinet Member for Environment and Coast Protection , said that there is plenty to witness with the project moving on at pace.

“With a good weather forecast for the week and the construction moving ahead all the time I am sure that families will find it fascinating to watch the work as it proceeds,” he said.

“ The visitor center is open every day from 10am to 4pm and there is a chance to find out more about the scheme. Members of the team will be on hand to answer any questions.”

All but one of the old groynes between The Esplanade and Cliff Road has been removed.

Material from the structures is being crushed and re-used in the core of the new groynes and the remains of the timber defenses are being stored to be used elsewhere in the District.

About 60,000 cubic meters of material was needed for the initial beach recharge to create the platforms at each of the new groyne locations for phase one of the works. It was rainbowed onto the beach from offshore just before high water and this started at the end of July.

The main contractor for the scheme is VBA Joint Venture Limited, with the program being project managed by Mott MacDonald. The new coastal defenses will protect more than 3,000 residential and commercial properties for the next 100 years and will act as a catalyst for the renaissance of the seafront.

[mappress mapid=”19031″]

Press Release

Reach the DredgingToday industry in one go!

DredgingToday is read by thousands of professionals every day.

Increase your visibility with banners, tell your story with a branded article, and showcase your expertise with a full-page company profile in our business directory.

CONTACT

Follow DredgingToday on:

Filed under

Business & Finance

Daily news in your mailbox

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Trending Now

  1. 1BREAKING NEWS: Dredging work underway for Iraq’s first LNG import terminal
  2. 2Jan De Nul: Spotlight on Bankbusters project
  3. 3Marina de Lagos expansion: New berths enter final stretch
  4. 4Secretary Dizon: President Marcos wants all waterways in Naga City dredged

Daily news in your mailbox

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Subscribe free