DredgingToday
  • Capital Dredging
  • Maintenance Dredging
  • Land Reclamation
  • Port Expansion
  • Coastal Protection
  • More News
JobsNewsletter
DredgingToday logo

Your trusted source for global dredging news, part of the Navingo network.

Topics
  • Authorities & Government
  • Beach Nourishment
  • Berth Expansion
  • Breakwater Construction
  • Breakwater Construction & Repair
Network
  • Dredging Today
  • NavalToday
  • Offshore Wind
  • Offshore Energy
  • Maritieme Vacaturebank
Company
  • Advertising
  • Newsletter
  • Jobs
  • Report Your News
  • Privacy Policy

© 2026 Navingo. All rights reserved.

Home›Business & Finance›Labour Plays Catch-Up on Dredging, MP Says
Business & Finance

November 10, 2014 · about 11 years ago

Labour Plays Catch-Up on Dredging, MP Says

Leichhardt MP Warren Entsch has welcomed Federal Labor’s decision to finally support the banning of dredge spoil being dumped in the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area. “Labor’s decision is nothing short of catch-up,” said Mr Entsch, “considering the current Coalition Government already announce

2 minutes read
  • LinkedIn
  • X
  • Email

Leichhardt MP Warren Entsch has welcomed Federal Labor’s decision to finally support the banning of dredge spoil being dumped in the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area.

“ Labor’s decision is nothing short of catch-up ,” said Mr Entsch, “ considering the current Coalition Government already announced that policy in December last year.”

“ They had the chance to ban it while they were in government, and chose instead to move ahead with five major proposals that would dispose dredge spoil in our Marine Park.

“Since coming to government, we have reduced the number of projects dumping dredge in the Marine Park to zero. ”

Mr Entsch said the Hon. Greg Hunt MP, Federal Minister for the Environment, yesterday confirmed our commitment in a press release, saying that the Coalition has ‘drawn a line in the sand’ against dumping dredge spoil in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.

“ We have already fixed the problem, ” said Mr Entsch.

“ Both state and federal Labor governments had the chance, while they were in power, to put a halt to unnecessary dumping of dredge spoil and failed to do it. So while their announcement yesterday is certainly ‘better late than never’, for Labor the dredging ship has sailed .”

Mr Entsch said the current Australian and Queensland governments are jointly investing around $180 million a year into the reef’s health.

“ That’s billions of dollars over the next decade ,” said Mr Entsch.

“The Federal Government is committed to the long-term protection of the Great Barrier Reef as one of Australia’s greatest natural icons – and a vital asset for tourism and jobs in Queensland and Australia.

“We have a clear plan and a strong commitment to ensure the reef is healthy and resilient, and we’re making strong progress ,” he said.

[mappress mapid=”19198″]

Press Release

Reach the DredgingToday industry in one go!

DredgingToday is read by thousands of professionals every day.

Increase your visibility with banners, tell your story with a branded article, and showcase your expertise with a full-page company profile in our business directory.

CONTACT

Follow DredgingToday on:

Filed under

Business & Finance

Daily news in your mailbox

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Trending Now

  1. 1BREAKING NEWS: Dredging work underway for Iraq’s first LNG import terminal
  2. 2Jan De Nul: Spotlight on Bankbusters project
  3. 3Marina de Lagos expansion: New berths enter final stretch
  4. 4Secretary Dizon: President Marcos wants all waterways in Naga City dredged

Daily news in your mailbox

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Subscribe free