DredgingToday
  • Capital Dredging
  • Maintenance Dredging
  • Land Reclamation
  • Port Expansion
  • Coastal Protection
  • More News
JobsNewsletter
DredgingToday logo

Your trusted source for global dredging news, part of the Navingo network.

Topics
  • Authorities & Government
  • Beach Nourishment
  • Berth Expansion
  • Breakwater Construction
  • Breakwater Construction & Repair
Network
  • Dredging Today
  • NavalToday
  • Offshore Wind
  • Offshore Energy
  • Maritieme Vacaturebank
Company
  • Advertising
  • Newsletter
  • Jobs
  • Report Your News
  • Privacy Policy

© 2026 Navingo. All rights reserved.

Home›Business & Finance›Swansea Channel Dredging Moves Ahead
Business & Finance

November 19, 2014 · about 11 years ago

Swansea Channel Dredging Moves Ahead

Minister for Natural Resources, Lands and Water, Kevin Humphries and Minister for Roads and Freight Duncan Gay announced that the work is now underway on a $2.5 million dredging project to boost safety for boaters using Swansea Channel. Mr Humphries said the work would provide a more reliable naviga

2 minutes read
  • LinkedIn
  • X
  • Email

Minister for Natural Resources, Lands and Water, Kevin Humphries and Minister for Roads and Freight Duncan Gay announced that the work is now underway on a $2.5 million dredging project to boost safety for boaters using Swansea Channel.

Mr Humphries said the work would provide a more reliable navigation access through the channel to make life safer and easier for the thousands of boaties who use the popular waterway every week.

“The project, due for completion early next year, will deliver a channel 60 m wide and 3.5 m deep, which will cater for most Lake Macquarie boaters.

“The dredging will provide an improved navigation channel to ensure boaters have safe access over the holiday season,” Mr Humphries said.

“ This is a busy waterway used by around 18,000 boats, with more than 25,000 boats expected to use the lake by 2020.

“This is all about improving access and creating more certainty around the channel’s navigability so boaties are kept safe and more inclined to use these waterways in the future. We anticipate that the project will boost the local economy by up to $3.7 million a year.

“A pipeline has been set up along the water’s edge to transport the dredged sand to Blacksmith’s beach for the rebuilding of dunes.

“As a result, a short portion of Blacksmiths Beach will be closed for around 10 weeks while the work takes place.”

Minister Gay said the dredging project had been made possible through a funding arrangement between NSW Trade & Investment Crown Lands and Transport for NSW.

“ We have worked closely with local community on this project and I’m pleased we are now getting on with the job of delivering for the people of Lake Macquarie,” Mr Gay said.

“ The NSW Government is committed to maintaining safe boating access along the NSW Coast which is why I’m delighted to announce a further $1 million in funding for other important coastal dredging projects across the state as part of our ‘Rescuing our Waterways’ program.”

[mappress mapid=”19303″]

Press Release

Reach the DredgingToday industry in one go!

DredgingToday is read by thousands of professionals every day.

Increase your visibility with banners, tell your story with a branded article, and showcase your expertise with a full-page company profile in our business directory.

CONTACT

Follow DredgingToday on:

Filed under

Business & Finance

Daily news in your mailbox

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Trending Now

  1. 1BREAKING NEWS: Dredging work underway for Iraq’s first LNG import terminal
  2. 2Jan De Nul: Spotlight on Bankbusters project
  3. 3Marina de Lagos expansion: New berths enter final stretch
  4. 4Secretary Dizon: President Marcos wants all waterways in Naga City dredged

Daily news in your mailbox

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Subscribe free