DredgingToday
  • Capital Dredging
  • Maintenance Dredging
  • Land Reclamation
  • Port Expansion
  • Coastal Protection
  • More News
JobsNewsletter
DredgingToday logo

Your trusted source for global dredging news, part of the Navingo network.

Topics
  • Authorities & Government
  • Beach Nourishment
  • Berth Expansion
  • Breakwater Construction
  • Breakwater Construction & Repair
Network
  • Dredging Today
  • NavalToday
  • Offshore Wind
  • Offshore Energy
  • Maritieme Vacaturebank
Company
  • Advertising
  • Newsletter
  • Jobs
  • Report Your News
  • Privacy Policy

© 2026 Navingo. All rights reserved.

Home›Business & Finance›Port of Townsville Expansion Plan Makes Progress
Business & Finance

October 10, 2016 · about 10 years ago

Port of Townsville Expansion Plan Makes Progress

The $1.64 billion expansion of Townsville’s port took a step forward last week with more opportunity for comment on its environmental impact statement (AEIS). State Development Minister, Dr Anthony Lynham, said that while the expansion was vital, it needed to proceed at no cost to the Great Barrier

1 minutes read
  • LinkedIn
  • X
  • Email

The $1.64 billion expansion of Townsville’s port took a step forward last week with more opportunity for comment on its environmental impact statement (AEIS).

State Development Minister, Dr Anthony Lynham, said that while the expansion was vital, it needed to proceed at no cost to the Great Barrier Reef.

“This $1.64 billion proposal includes deepening and widening the existing shipping lanes, construction of an outer northern harbor of the existing port, six new ship berths and a new western breakwater, ” he said.

“It also includes the capital dredging of 11.4 million cubic meters of sediment to be re­used to create 152 hectares of reclaimed land for the port.

“None of the capital dredging material is to be dumped at sea.

“This project could create 174 direct jobs at the peak of construction plus 180 operational jobs, with port annual throughput set to climb from its current 9.8 million tonnes to 48 million tonnes by 2040.”

Ports Minister, Mark Bailey, said that the Port of Townsville was a state priority port and that the project now incorporated on­ land beneficial re­use of all capital dredge material.

“Consistent with our Reef 2050 Long­Term Sustainability Plan commitments and provisions of our legislation, no capital dredge material will be permitted to be placed at sea,” Mr Bailey said.

Dr Lynham said that the AEIS will be open for comment until 7 November, 2016.

[mappress mapid=”23112″]

Reach the DredgingToday industry in one go!

DredgingToday is read by thousands of professionals every day.

Increase your visibility with banners, tell your story with a branded article, and showcase your expertise with a full-page company profile in our business directory.

CONTACT

Follow DredgingToday on:

Filed under

Business & Finance

Daily news in your mailbox

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Trending Now

  1. 1BREAKING NEWS: Dredging work underway for Iraq’s first LNG import terminal
  2. 2Jan De Nul: Spotlight on Bankbusters project
  3. 3Marina de Lagos expansion: New berths enter final stretch
  4. 4Secretary Dizon: President Marcos wants all waterways in Naga City dredged

Daily news in your mailbox

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Subscribe free