DredgingToday
  • Capital Dredging
  • Maintenance Dredging
  • Land Reclamation
  • Port Expansion
  • Coastal Protection
  • More News
JobsNewsletter
DredgingToday logo

Your trusted source for global dredging news, part of the Navingo network.

Topics
  • Authorities & Government
  • Beach Nourishment
  • Berth Expansion
  • Breakwater Construction
  • Breakwater Construction & Repair
Network
  • Dredging Today
  • NavalToday
  • Offshore Wind
  • Offshore Energy
  • Maritieme Vacaturebank
Company
  • Advertising
  • Newsletter
  • Jobs
  • Report Your News
  • Privacy Policy

© 2026 Navingo. All rights reserved.

Home›Business & Finance›Dredger Finds Another WWII Bomb in Portsmouth Harbor
Business & Finance

February 22, 2017 · about 9 years ago

Dredger Finds Another WWII Bomb in Portsmouth Harbor

One of the dredging vessels involved in the Portsmouth harbor dredging project found an unexploded Second World War device earlier this morning, Royal Navy just announced. The bomb was found by Boskalis, which has been contracted by the Defense Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) to carry out the £31

1 minutes read
  • LinkedIn
  • X
  • Email

One of the dredging vessels involved in the Portsmouth harbor dredging project found an unexploded Second World War device earlier this morning, Royal Navy just announced.

The bomb was found by Boskalis, which has been contracted by the Defense Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) to carry out the £31 million dredging program.

The harbor is currently being dredged to enable it to take the new Royal navy aircraft carriers which are due to come into service in the city by 2020.

This type of Second World War German SC250 bomb weighs 500lb and contains 290lb of high explosives, the Navy said.

Hampshire Constabulary said that Portsmouth Harbor Railway Station and Coach Station will be closed this morning and the Gosport and Isle of Wight ferries will also be affected while this is being dealt with.

Gunwharf Quays will also be closed for the duration of this operation.

“We are working with Ministry of Defense Police, the Royal Navy, Portsmouth City Council and other organizations to activate a pre-arranged multi-agency plan,” said Hampshire Constabulary in its announcement.

“Our priority is to keep the public safe and minimize community disruption while the ordnance is detonated by the Royal Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal.”

Divers from the Royal Navy’s Portsmouth-based Southern Diving Unit 2 are also on the scene.

[mappress mapid=”23644″]

Reach the DredgingToday industry in one go!

DredgingToday is read by thousands of professionals every day.

Increase your visibility with banners, tell your story with a branded article, and showcase your expertise with a full-page company profile in our business directory.

CONTACT

Follow DredgingToday on:

Filed under

Business & Finance

Daily news in your mailbox

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Trending Now

  1. 1BREAKING NEWS: Dredging work underway for Iraq’s first LNG import terminal
  2. 2Jan De Nul: Spotlight on Bankbusters project
  3. 3Marina de Lagos expansion: New berths enter final stretch
  4. 4Secretary Dizon: President Marcos wants all waterways in Naga City dredged

Daily news in your mailbox

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Subscribe free