DredgingToday
  • Capital Dredging
  • Maintenance Dredging
  • Land Reclamation
  • Port Expansion
  • Coastal Protection
  • More News
JobsNewsletter
DredgingToday logo

Your trusted source for global dredging news, part of the Navingo network.

Topics
  • Authorities & Government
  • Beach Nourishment
  • Berth Expansion
  • Breakwater Construction
  • Breakwater Construction & Repair
Network
  • Dredging Today
  • NavalToday
  • Offshore Wind
  • Offshore Energy
  • Maritieme Vacaturebank
Company
  • Advertising
  • Newsletter
  • Jobs
  • Report Your News
  • Privacy Policy

© 2026 Navingo. All rights reserved.

Home›Business & Finance›Kingston Harbor Dredging Project Half Way Done
Business & Finance

April 6, 2017 · about 9 years ago

Kingston Harbor Dredging Project Half Way Done

The Kingston Harbor dredging scheme, undertaken by concessionaire Kingston Freeport Terminal Limited (KFTL), is now 50% complete, according to the minister without portfolio in the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation, Dr Horace Chang. Dr Chang said that the works to upgrade the capacity of

2 minutes read
  • LinkedIn
  • X
  • Email

The Kingston Harbor dredging scheme, undertaken by concessionaire Kingston Freeport Terminal Limited (KFTL), is now 50% complete, according to the minister without portfolio in the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation, Dr Horace Chang.

Dr Chang said that the works to upgrade the capacity of the KCT’s South Terminal at Gordon Cay, with the main goal to accommodate the largest ships traversing the Panama Canal, are also underway, Jamaica Information Service (JIS) reports.

“Kingston Wharves Limited has also been aggressively upgrading its capacity, with the addition of new cranes, container-handling equipment and bulk-handling equipment. It has also moved to establish itself as a leading logistics service provider, with the construction of a new 160,000 square foot ‘total logistics’ facility approaching completion,” he said during his contribution to the 2017/18 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives earlier this week.

This capital development project involves deepening of the entry channel and reinforcing the quay at Port Bustamante.

As recently reported, Sodraco SAS, subsidiary of Jan De Nul Group, is part of a consortium that has been made responsible for the expansion of the Port of Kingston.

For the Kingston dredging program, Jan De Nul mobilizes 6 vessels; the cutter suction dredger Marco Polo with four accompanying split barges and the trailing suction hopper dredger Pedro Alvares Cabrál.

The work is being carried out under phase one of the Kingston Container Terminal (KCT) expansion project, which is expected to be completed by December 2018, at a cost of approximately $150 million.

[mappress mapid=”23885″]

Reach the DredgingToday industry in one go!

DredgingToday is read by thousands of professionals every day.

Increase your visibility with banners, tell your story with a branded article, and showcase your expertise with a full-page company profile in our business directory.

CONTACT

Follow DredgingToday on:

Filed under

Business & Finance

Daily news in your mailbox

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Trending Now

  1. 1BREAKING NEWS: Dredging work underway for Iraq’s first LNG import terminal
  2. 2Jan De Nul: Spotlight on Bankbusters project
  3. 3Marina de Lagos expansion: New berths enter final stretch
  4. 4Secretary Dizon: President Marcos wants all waterways in Naga City dredged

Daily news in your mailbox

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Subscribe free