DredgingToday
  • Capital Dredging
  • Maintenance Dredging
  • Land Reclamation
  • Port Expansion
  • Coastal Protection
  • More News
JobsNewsletter
DredgingToday logo

Your trusted source for global dredging news, part of the Navingo network.

Topics
  • Authorities & Government
  • Beach Nourishment
  • Berth Expansion
  • Breakwater Construction
  • Breakwater Construction & Repair
Network
  • Dredging Today
  • NavalToday
  • Offshore Wind
  • Offshore Energy
  • Maritieme Vacaturebank
Company
  • Advertising
  • Newsletter
  • Jobs
  • Report Your News
  • Privacy Policy

© 2026 Navingo. All rights reserved.

Home›Business & Finance›Otago Harbor Receives Consent for Maintenance Dredging
Business & Finance

June 20, 2017 · about 9 years ago

Otago Harbor Receives Consent for Maintenance Dredging

The Port Otago has just released its latest e-Bulletin, updating on the progress made across the port and the Next Generation capital works program. According to the port, a 25-year maintenance dredging and disposal consent has been received by the Environment Court. Geoff Plunket, Port Otago curren

2 minutes read
  • LinkedIn
  • X
  • Email

The Port Otago has just released its latest e-Bulletin, updating on the progress made across the port and the Next Generation capital works program.

According to the port, a 25-year maintenance dredging and disposal consent has been received by the Environment Court.

Geoff Plunket, Port Otago current Chief Executive said that the latest dredging consent, granted by the Environment Court earlier this month, puts in place all the necessary consents required for maintenance and development dredging for the next 20-25 years.

Port Otago also recently secured a 20-year consent to deepen the channel to 15m, an integral part of the company’s Next Generation program.

“ The latest consent finalizes a process which commenced in 2009 with the application to deepen the shipping channel to Port Chalmers and serves to again underline the importance of positive community engagement and a willingness to adopt an environmentally responsible approach to dredging and disposal activities, ” said Geoff Plunket.

The port also reported that the channel deepening project is on track to reach 14m (chart datum) by December 2017. The next stage is to move out to final width (max 250m) and then a staged dredge from 16 to 18m at the outer entrance to Otago Harbor.

In the E-Bulletin, the port added that a $21 million extension of the Multi-Purpose wharf, which will add 140m to the existing multipurpose structure, has been approved by the Board of Port Otago (POL). Marine specialist HEB Construction won the contract and will be on site from September 2017.

Due for completion by end 2018, the extension will cater for new generation container vessels.

[mappress mapid=”24200″]

Reach the DredgingToday industry in one go!

DredgingToday is read by thousands of professionals every day.

Increase your visibility with banners, tell your story with a branded article, and showcase your expertise with a full-page company profile in our business directory.

CONTACT

Follow DredgingToday on:

Filed under

Business & Finance

Daily news in your mailbox

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Trending Now

  1. 1BREAKING NEWS: Dredging work underway for Iraq’s first LNG import terminal
  2. 2Jan De Nul: Spotlight on Bankbusters project
  3. 3Marina de Lagos expansion: New berths enter final stretch
  4. 4Secretary Dizon: President Marcos wants all waterways in Naga City dredged

Daily news in your mailbox

Join thousands of industry professionals who start their day with our newsletter.

Subscribe free